Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Tamiya Centurion converted to IDF Shot Kal >

Tamiya Centurion converted to IDF Shot Kal

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Centurion converted to IDF Shot Kal

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 10:50 AM

Received 265 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Tamiya Centurion converted to IDF Shot Kal

I "re-worked" my Tamiya Centurion from a 1970s themed IDF "Shot" into a early 1980s version "Shot Kal" with up armored ERA. The conversion was made possible with the use of the newly released DKLM RC "Shot Kal" conversion kit that includes everything from turret to nearly an entirely new top deck and lower rear hull.

The kit was easy to install once the tank is taken apart and has only a few small issues with turret to ERA panel interface when rotating the turret. Easy to fix and is unseen afterwards. I did have a few other issues but they were related to the disassembly of the original tank parts. Seems I build it to well and the parts did not want to come off so they were left on.

Personally I like the more aggressive and textured look the kit brings to the Centurion.

Below are photos of the DKLM "Shot Kal" kit installed, painted and lightly weathered on my Tamiya Centurion.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 06-13-2024 at 10:53 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Fsttanks:
bowlman (06-13-2024), jarndice (06-15-2024), Pah co chu puk (06-15-2024), Panther F (06-13-2024), regsbyg (06-15-2024), tankme (06-13-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-13-2024, 11:01 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Now that is stunning work and so is the kit.
The following users liked this post:
Fsttanks (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 06:24 PM

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

WOW that looks amazing!!!
Fsttanks (06-13-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 08:59 AM

Tamiya Centurion "Shot Kal" on the "Tracks N Turret" gunnery course firing at static IR targets.

Firing from the "hull down" position. This makes the tank very hard to hit in both real world and IR battling. The Shot Kal conversion does it well, but not quite as well as the original Tamiya turret.

Firing on the move. The DKLM "Shot Kal" conversion has far less barrel "bounce" when moving then the original Tamiya systems and thus accuracy firing on the move is greatly improved.
Pah co chu puk (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this conversion looks like a winner. I’m about to pull the trigger on getting it. I already have one of your 105 barrels to use. Couple of question. How does turret access work as it a solid piece by the look of it. One my MK 3 i can take the turret top off it needed. Does rear deck battery access work the same? I will probably start with a brand new kit. I wish they had instructions on their website as it would probably answer these questions.
cheers
Dave
Old 06-16-2024, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by regsbyg
Well this conversion looks like a winner. I’m about to pull the trigger on getting it. I already have one of your 105 barrels to use. Couple of question. How does turret access work as it a solid piece by the look of it. One my MK 3 i can take the turret top off it needed. Does rear deck battery access work the same? I will probably start with a brand new kit. I wish they had instructions on their website as it would probably answer these questions.
cheers
Dave
The turret is two pieces a floor plate bolted to the factory Tamiya ring and then complete turret on top held together with four magnets. It is easier to access the internal turret parts then with the Tamiya set up.

The rear engine deck work just like the Tamiya deck and is a good fit. The only thing I would recommend is to add magnets to the deck mounts as this works to hold it to the hull magnets much better then simply added metal strips as with the original Tamiya set up. I had to drill out the deck mounts to fit some small round magnets but had no issues and I am 100% glad I did the deck is held in place nicely.

The kit comes with an IDF "heat shielded" 105 main gun. I did not use it for two reason. One I felt it was to long (it could have been easily shortened) and two I wanted an early 80-83 Shot Kal look which did not have the later heat shield.

The assembly is pretty straight forward and simply looking at DKLMs photos will help you know where everything goes.

The 105 by RichJohnson needs a slighty narrower rear section (~.85mm) on it to fit the narrower barrel "baffle" opening that DKLM molded to the mantle. I had this section of RichJohnson 3D printed barrel custom made for me to fit the DKLM mantle. If you have Rich's 3D 105mm resin barrel it can be sanded to fit as well.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

DKlM turret ring with magnets.

Magnet added to deck mount to hold better. The stock hull magnets were left in place.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 06-17-2024 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-17-2024, 08:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic work it looks amazing
Old 06-17-2024, 08:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stunning
Old 06-19-2024, 02:11 PM

Per a PM request to see the rear of the Shot Kal conversion.

Complete new rear hull panel.

bowlman (06-19-2024)